Wednesday, November 25, 2015

"Is she talking yet?"

Ahhh, the simple question.

With a complicated answer.

I NEVER know how to respond. I dont get it asked ALL the time(whatever that means). I do get variations of the question.

I don't necessarily mind it. I just don't necessarily know what to respond with. I totally believe she IS talking. I mean what defines "talking" anyways? If you go to Germany do you not qualify the language German as talking just because you don't understand it? They obviously have every intention of communicating with you, and have meaning and purpose behind the sounds coming out, you just aren't in on their lingo. That is exactly how I feel about Emersyn. I need to learn her lingo. However, I cant really respond with that without sounding like some kind of nutty, deliriously positive Momma.

There have been plenty of times we have handed her a cup of juice and she responds with "talking" that we have determined is thank you. She wont learn the sign for "thank you" because every time we do it-her translation is blowing a kiss. Hey-Ill totally take it. Who wouldnt?

She has been saying "Dad" in context since Fathers Day. She has been saying the sound "da" for a very long time, but the two are very different in this particular situation.  So yes, Father's day. She gave her daddy the gift of title and acknowledgement on his big day. Did I cry with pride? Yes, I was so so proud of her. Did I also cry because I was so jealous? YES. I even moved away from the two of them on the couch so she would never be confused that by saying "Dad" that that was a way to get my attention, but in fact it caused the opposite affect. It may sound a little childish but....they're my shoes to wear. I will also add this in-this was not her first word. Her first word ever communicated was "more" by sign language. "Dad" was her first word vocalized.

Jacob and I both have been working on that evil close lipped "MMMM" sound since her birth. SINCE HER BIRTH! There was a split second that her OT and I heard her say "mama" clear as day when she was probably 6 months old. I have since determined we were both just hormonal women, who were hearing things we needed to hear. I cant stress enough that your mouth is made up of muscles, and that Emersyn has low muscle tone. It takes a lot more work to close those lips for that "MMM" sound then to make that "Da" sound. I mean, have you ever really thought about the process of making every sound in the alphabet and how complex these sounds are? Wow, talk about taking things for granted.

We have done speech therapy since last January. In August, we added an additional speech therapist to the mix. Both are absolutely amazing. Both work on opposite aspects of speech. We totally hit the jackpot. We've been asked since the beginning of therapies, 10 weeks old, if we sing nursery rhymes to her. UHHHH-sorta? We sing songs.....about everything. In our house, its a musical. The reason I add this in is because as I type this my husband is totally breaking out in opera style singing. He sounds amazing. Me---not so much. But that doesn't stop me! Poopy diaper? Song. Bath time? Song. Cooking meatloaf? Song. Folding clothes? Song. You get the picture. We are weirdos. Happy weirdos. But weirdos nonetheless. So we do EVERYTHING we can to get her to make new sounds and words, especially the "MMMM' sound.

Here comes the EPIC news. And before you get your hopes up she did not VOCALIZE Momma. However, SHE DID SIGN MOMMA!!!! SHE SAID MOMMA! SHE COMMUNICATED MOMMA! Cue the Carlton dance!!! She did it, she did it, she did it! That, my friends, is absolutely incredible! My heart is full tonight. One of my dreams have come true. It took two years to get here! It was totally worth the wait! Of course,it will be a whole other party when she vocalizes the word. Today, this way of TALKING was everything and more.

I will leave you with this. In this world, it seems to be everyone's focus on what is wrong. (I do it my fair share, but I try my hardest not to) Today, be positive. Be silly. Sing a song made up about nothing! BE DELIRIOUSLY POSITIVE! It might just rub off on, well, everyone!



 Emersyn's ready to help momma clean up and organize her closet! 
Maybe she doesn't match, but its Sunday afternoon! Who cares!


3 comments: